Little do we all know...

by - Tuesday, May 01, 2012

                     

  _____________ Little do we all know_____________


                                                                                    By Anosha Anwar, 1st year



He looked out the window, the plane was at quite a high altitude,  the view seemed to be that of a miniature painting as seen from above... He let out a sigh and reached into his pocket, taking out the small ribbon-wrapped box in his hand.He looked at it, buried deep in thoughts, thinking about her and their last talk...which now seemed to be more of a fight.The reason was, like always, juvenile but the conversation had become inordinate, he could vividly recall her getting heated up and more persuading, while  he was getting colder and more adamant and finally the door slammed, she locked herself in her room... he threw himself on the couch and yelled out a few curses... This all happened 2 days ago, after which he had to leave for Islamabad on a business trip , now he was returning home....he resented having to leave without even saying goodbye.. But it was OK,he thought, for he would make up for it, once the intensity of his arrogance and ego diminished. He had bought a diamond pendant for her, the one she had been longing for, hoping it would make an appropriate peace offering....
But little did he know... Sometimes life just does not give you the chance to fix it...


______________________________________________________________________________

She sat back, smiling, tapping her fingers on the sideboard, listening to Bryan Adam songs. The air hostess offered her a lunch box but she politely turned it down. She was building up her appetite, for she knew her mother would have gone all out today cooking her favourite dishes and her father, must have bought a stack of DVDs, for them to watch together. She shook her head, as though thinking ,what a hopeless yet adorable case parents tend to be, trying to do all they can just to make their young ones happy.. She felt blessed indeed... 

But little did she know... the once steaming dishes would cool down, the once latest DVDs would get dust-laden in her wait.. For some joys are just not in our fate...

______________________________________________________________________________

He looked at the stuffed teddy bear and smiled to himself, "I wonder whose eyes she got.."
He thought to himself. He looked at the clock, only a little more time and then he could be together with his little angel who had just opened her eyes in this beautiful yet cynical world.

But little did he know.. some questions are destined to remain unanswered. Sometimes bliss is just too far away...
______________________________________________________________________________

He looked at the small, glittering, star shaped badge in his palm.. It was an honour to be holding that reward, he had gotten in return for his services to the country. It gleamed in his hand and he closed his fingers over it. He had never felt so content in his life. He knew today when he would tell his dad , his son had accomplished what his father always dreamed about , his dad would hug him tight, for the very first time..  He smiled thinking that today he would finally hear his dad say, "You've made me proud, son".

But little did he know, some yearnings are never realized...

______________________________________________________________________________

He order some peanuts from the air hostess, shut down his net book and looked out the ,window. It had been 2 years since he last saw his family, he remembered that night still as vivid as anything.He had walked out on his family in pursuit of his goal, his ambition. he aspired to become a writer and now he finally had become one, after a seemingly endless struggle. Now he headed home, to set things right, to hug his mother, to get slapped by his father, to get kicked in the shin by his younger sister. He knew they would forgive him, they loved him too much and when he would finally show them the first edition of his book, the realization of his dream....Just the thought of it gave him chills..
But little did he know, somethings its just too late for the second chance...
_____________________________________________________________________________
                                                              2 hours later_ My place.

I was on my laptop, hurriedly typing away another article, giving shape to my thoughts, channeling my feelings in something productive, something slightly more meaningful than chattering with others, trying to put my extravagantly free time to good use... When I heard my mom exclaim : Astghfrullah.. 
I rushed towards the TV lounge where she was siting. She looked pale, I turned towards the TV screen.The room spinned in front of my eyes as I read the headline, for the words of newscaster were not making much sense to me...My vision blurred.. My heart slowed down.. My mind went blank momentarily followed by a sudden torrent of thoughts, emotions.. all intermingled...
 "More than 100 lives lost?? The plane crashed?? Chaos at the airport...??? " 

I stood stoic, numb, lifeless.. for about a minute, till it all sank in...  after what seemed like an eternity, I recovered from this shock, realizing there would be many who may not recover from it, for their whole lives...

Little did I know, I too had something in common with them, and slowly all the similarities began to dawn on me...

 I too, had never questioned myself,  that "If today was my last day ...??"

 I too, had left much stuff pending, waiting for the right time , ignorant of the fact that water passes under the bridge way too quickly...

I too, had yet to say my "I love you.." s and I too still kept my " Forgive me..."s locked away in my heart. 

I too had not dared to pursue my dreams yet... Oblivious my regrets would not be for what I have done , but centred around what I had not done...

 For I too never realized the next headline,the next casuality, the next "usual" tragedy could befall on me.. 

and like many others , I too move on , sleeping peacefully ignorant of those in need to change their tear-drenched pillows.. I too , go on, hoping it will pass, despite the fact, that for some, time has come to a halt..

Little do we all know, every step we take brings us closer to the edge... little do we all realize the sand that is  slowly sifting away... Little do we all, do in order  to make a difference...
                                              

                                                     Time goes, they say.. Ah no!
                                                  Alas... time stays.. we go....

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. ReaLLy nYc onE inDeeD...GreaT wOrk... LeFt wd No wOrdXx....

    ReplyDelete
  2. marvellous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. once more...m speachless anosha =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. its soOo real ..n..Realistic things are worth to praise !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ths is beyoooooooooooooooooond nice! you have really improved as a writer Anosha!! :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautifully expressed.....

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM