Book Review: Blasphemy

by - Thursday, June 10, 2010

The KELS Book Club gives us access to a lot of books. I think we owe it to KELS to put some sort of review of the books we read. That way we ll provide some details and make it easier for others to choose from all those wonderful books. I personally find it hard to figure out what to read with only names and no description.

The president told me I should start writing first since I came up with the idea :)

So here goes…

BLASPHEMY by Tehmina Durrani.

A horrific and shocking story of a woman who lived through our peeri mureedi system as the wife of the pir sain. It reveals the harshest truth of the darkest corners of our system where poverty and ignorance (the worst combination ever) leads people to blindly follow the cruel, tyrannical and completely unjust system of peeri mureedi under the false pretense of following the religion. The story unveils the practices of the people ruling this system. Calling their practices animalistic would be an insult to animals, they are just plain satanic. The story shows how power is abused, the weak are exploited and people are brutally persecuted…. All in the name of religion. A blasphemy indeed.

It exposed an aspect of my world that I really didn’t want to see. The novel is disturbing to the core. In the words of a friend of mine, ”It was PG 18 level torture.” The story is well written except in the end. I couldnt really connect to the main character there, or perhaps I was just too scarred to feel anything by that time. Anyways the opinion is only my personal one but I like Durrani’s my feudal lord a lot better.

I would rate it 3 out of 5.

You May Also Like

0 comments

INSTAGRAM